American Office is passionate about creating great places and doing great things – both in business and in life. We live, raise families and participate in our local communities. This past holiday season, we wanted to empower our employees and give them the opportunity to give back. In support, we hosted our first ‘Small Acts of Kindness Day’ on Wednesday, December 24th!
This company-wide initiative aimed to bring holiday cheer to our local markets in a timed two-hour span. Each office received an allocated charitable budget and was encouraged to split into teams to decide on their ‘small acts of kindness’ plans.
We were over thrilled to see the excitement, engagement and passion exhibited from our employees. Warmth and hospitality exuded from each of our locations that day – offices and warehouses alike!
- Baltimore Office: Divided into four teams:
- Team 1 organized gently-used clothing, daily items and dry foods donations for a local homeless shelter. Then, purchased $2 Subway sandwiches with their remaining budget and handed the sandwiches to homeless on the streets.
- Team 2 visited Mercy Hospital and handed out $1 scratch offs to people waiting in the Emergency Room, security officers and other patients.
- Team 3 used their charitable fund to purchase water bottles for handing out to the homeless and needy.
- Finally, Team 4 visited Wal-Mart and purchased hats and gloves for donating to the Bea Gaddy Family Center.
- Rockville Office: Divided into three teams:
- Team 1 purchased Christmas cookies with their fund and went to the Rockville Nursing Home to share them with the elderly.
- Team 2 provided small monetary donations to the homeless.
- Team 3 went around different parts of town and purchased meals for people in fast food lines, placed quarters in expiring parking meters, and more.
- Washington, DC Office: Split their allocated budget into equal shares for donating to needy families.
- Chantilly Warehouse: Split their team and donated their divided money to four separate local Salvation Army stations. They also delivered a “Thank You for All You Do” surprise cake to the Fairfax Police Department.
- Chantilly Office: Rallied their donated budget to purchase food and supplies from Costco for the local food bank, Bull Run Unitarian.
- Charlottesville Office: Purchased grocery store gift cards, visited the Gritty City grocery store and distributed to random shoppers, while sporting their festive reindeer antlers of course!
- Richmond Office: Arranged with a local Wendy’s to pay for meals in the drive though line. Our team stood in the drive through window and waived to the surprised patrons who enjoyed their small act of kindness!
- Richmond Warehouse: Purchased 15 chicken dinners and handed them out to less fortunate families.
- Virginia Beach Office: Baked cookies and used their budget to acquire blankets, furry foot booties, and puzzle books for delivering to Lake Taylor Hospital patients.
With every act of kindness, our teams were rewarded with big smiles, sincere thanks and genuine holiday wishes. Great job, everyone! Way to give back in creative ways!